Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why I neither supported, nor opposed Anna Hazare's Anti-Corruption Campaign

What Anna Hazare did to ensure the Lokpal Bill was approved by the Parliament is indeed commendable and a courageous act! After all, how many people are willing to self-sacrifice to fight for the greater good?

The reasons why I was neutral to Anna Hazare's Lokpal Bill are simple:

1) Why I didn't support -

While AH's campaign indeed created a furore in the Indian Political & Social Community, it will stay as just "another law" unless every Indian citizen pledges sincerely to stop paying bribes, no matter what. For one, I do not think I have the courage to accept the penalty for a 'mistake' willingly committed by me. As a rational human being, if the penalty is significantly big I'll try to cover up my mistake by doing some sort of "settlement" i.e. by paying a bribe. Recently, I picked up a friend of mine who bombarded FaceBook with "I am Anna" messages and actively participating in the anti-corruption rallies that were conducted in Mumbai. He wanted to ride my Royal Enfield Bullet and I willingly allowed myself to be his pillion. This guy jumped a signal in Andheri and when caught by the traffic police, slipped a 100 Rs. note to escape from the fine. I find this a classical example of hypocrisy and I surely am not a hypocrite! If I was in his place and jumped the signal, maybe I too would have paid Rs. 100/- to the traffic police but I would have done it with a clear conscience, without being a hypocrite.

2) Why I didn't oppose -

Simple reason - I am selfish, like all other human beings! If the Lokpal Bill would have been approved by the parliament (which it eventually did), I am to gain from it for sure. Next time I jump the traffic signal, the cop will atleast THINK twice before demanding a bribe. Even if 10% of the officials start thinking twice, India will be a much better place to stay and I love staying in India, no matter what!

I believe in walking the talk and if my above reasons sound illogical to you, so be it!



- Swapnil

No comments:

Post a Comment